Friday, July 11, 2008

Anne Shirley turns 100!

MARILLA: Well, what's your name?
ANNE:
Would you please call me Cordelia?
MARILLA: Call you Cordelia?
ANNE: Don't you think it's a pretty name?
MARILLA: Is that your name?
ANNE: Well, no, it's not exactly my name, though I would love to be called Cordelia.
MARILLA: I don't understand what you mean.
ANNE: Cordelia is a perfectly elegant name.
MARILLA: What is your name child, and no more nonsense?
ANNE: Anne Shirley.
Plain, old, unromantic Anne Shirley.
MARILLA: Anne Shirley is a fine and sensible name, and hardly one to be ashamed of.
ANNE: Oh, I'm not ashamed, but if you are going to call me Anne, would you please be sure to spell it with an "e".
MARILLA: What difference does it make how it is spelled?
ANNE: It makes a lot of difference.
Print out "A-n-n" and it looks absolutely dreadful, but Anne with an "e" is quite distinguished. So if you'll only call me Anne with an "e", I'll try and reconcile myself to not being called Cordelia.

Anne of Green Gables turned 100 this year! My friends Shelly, Kassidy, Karrye and I used to have sleepovers and watch Anne of Green Gables. We loved her!

I think I'll call Shelly and see if we should have an Anne marathon sometime soon!

No comments: