Friday, February 6, 2009

Chow Time: Firehouse Turkey Chili

I've decided that I really have to cook more and stop eating out. I like to cook actually, but it's just hard when there's only one of you (plus or minus a roomate).

Last Wednesday, I decided to try Firehouse Turkey Chili.

While I might like to cook, I don't know a dang thing about it! Here I am trying to figure out what part of the garlic is the actual clove and how in the world one smashes it.

Did you notice the tummy? That's why we're trying healthy recipes. But, being healthy requires a lot of knife action. Exhibit A (notice smashed garlic glove).

Things got moving pretty quickly and before I knew it, that chili was simmering.


Said chili in my bowl.


How was the chili you ask? It was okay. It wasn't really a "chili" texture like I was hoping for (or I guess expecting) and was more of a tomato-ey soup. But, it wasn't too bad. However, I don't know that I'll be making it again.

This weekend, we're gonna have Spaghetti with Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs. It ain't healthy for ya, but come one, it's the weekend! I need some yummy nourishment sometime!

3 comments:

Brantley said...

That looks really good! I'll have to make some chili sometime soon. If it will ever get cold again that is.

Oh, for garlic, I never buy cloves. Its probably better if you do but I just buy the little jars of minced garlic. Its much easier and not that expensive. Plus it lasts a long time so its well worth it in my option.

Shelly said...

Impressive! That was some serious chopping you did! I have to second your other comment on the jarred garlic...it is much easier and you pretty much always have it, but I have bought some fresh garlic from the Farmer's Market before. It keeps for a while, too.

But to my real comment, be very careful if using a grater to shred things. I was attempting to shred carrots yesterday, but got my thumb instead. It hurt -- and bled -- a lot!

Anonymous said...

alright, i'm posting this late, but what kind of chili recipe doesnt include cumin? thats what gives it the "chili" taste. without it, it will taste like tomato soup. also a little beer (alcohol cooks out) and bbq sauce help too. im telling you man, try the "indian summer turkey chili" on foodnetwork.com! youll love it. yeah and garlic cloves are kinda dumb unless you have a good mincer. but garlic isnt needed in chili anyway.