Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Second Empire

I had dinner at Second Empire Restaurant and Tavern last night. The home was originally built for Mayor William H. Dodd on a lot given to him by his parents in 1871 and opened in 1997 as a restaurant. We ate in the Tavern downstairs which was super cozy with all of the exposed brick.



I was rather surprised at how not-as-expensive-as-I-thought the Tavern was. It would be good place for a special occasion. It was more casual than what I expect the restaurant is. I don't know. I don't think I would like the restaurant. Servers staring at me while I eat. Reminds me of my mom's pomeranian.


I had the Roasted Tavern Filet Wellington (asparagus, wild mushroom duxelles & foie gras, puff pastry, creamy saffron risotto, shallot red wine sauce) and there wasn't a morsel left on my plate. And, for desert, the apple crisp.

So, for all you baby daddies out there, take note for when you need a special date idea.

2 comments:

Brantley said...

That place looks really nice. I'll have to remember there next time I'm looking for something different

Tonya & Michael said...

YUMMY! So jealous~! I love that place, and I would have to agree, I think the Tavern experience is way better than the big daddy upstairs!