Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hello, House Beautiful Part II

Approximately two minutes after my last post, I was ashamed of myself.




I had logged onto Facebook and saw that my friend Sarah was back from her mission trip to Honduras. And, she had posted pictures! One of the pictures prior to this one was captioned with something to the extent of 'our crew working on building concrete floors.' Then, there was this picture showing an excited family with their new floor.

Look at their home: the floor is new, but there is still a gap between the floor and the walls. There is no electricity. There are no couches, ottomans, beds or flat screen TVs. It's a one room house.

Immediately, I was ashamed about spending an entire post talking about nothing but the materials things that I love and would make me so happy. Quickly, I was reminded by the Holy Spirit 'to store up my treasures in heaven' and that material things truly are meaningless in the big scheme of things.

Not that I think it's wrong to have nice things. But, when we're bad stewards of the money God has given us and we make those things more important than Him and than others, that's when we start to mess up. I'm slowly learning that being a servant is the highest calling we have and giving all of myself and possessions to others is more gratifying than having a pretty ottoman.

And, to fill you in, I saw Sarah on Sunday. She told me that the mother in this picture was so happy about getting this concrete floor and so determined that her family was going have get it that she was working with the men to get the job done. Apparently, they were up on a mountain and had to hike a ways down with 5 gallon buckets to get water to make the floor. Sarah said the mother was carrying a full bucket up on her shoulder (barefoot mind you!) and at one point, she had the bucket on one shoulder and was breast feeding her baby with the other arm!

I love this picture and I hope it says ingrained in my mind. This picture is one of a joyful wife and mother with her House Beautiful. It's a million times prettier than the images in my House Beautiful.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. ~ Matthew 6:19-21

No comments: