Monday, November 23, 2009

High on the Hog: Hickory Smoked Tuna Quesadilla

On Saturday, Shelly, The Blanchards and I went to Sue Stock's couponing class. It was great! We learned more than I think we could imagine. And, we didn't leave empty handed! Shelly won a bag of rice and The Blanchards won a $50 gift card to Lowe's Foods. I expect they'll invite me over to enjoy their winnings once they cook with them - hint, hint. :)

Faye Prosser of smartspendingresources.com was the other speaker at the class and she did a bit on menu planning using your stockpile from couponing. A stockpile is literally an inventory of non-perishables that you create by buying multiples of items when they are at their rock bottom price. Faye and other couponers say that you should look to your pantry for something to cook rather than picking a recipe first. So, I decided to give that a try tonight. Here is what I had (puh-leeze don't even ask me if that's my picture cuz you know it's not).


I had a pouch of StarKist Tuna Creations Hickory Smoked flavor that I had gotten for free during Harris Teeter triple coupons. There was a recipe on the back for a quesadilla that looked pretty good. I actually had the ingredients on hand - cream cheese, roasted red peppers, cheese, and cream cheese so I tried it out.

Now, I had not tried this Tuna Creation bit yet and the quesadilla was actually pretty good. The hard part was getting over the hickory smoked tuna smell. I thought I was going to vomit when I first opened the package.

My goal is to continue to grow my stockpile and hopefully be able to update you with my menus more often! But, I don't think you're going to see the tuna quesadilla again.

1 comment:

Brantley said...

I think we're going today to pick up some of that $1.29 lb asparagus and some other pretty good deals.

You should come over and let us cook for you once and then you could return the favor. :) It might be fun to share our great finds through a meal.